A brief history of INFS
The institute would trace its origin in the Human Nutrition Research Unit established in the Department of Chemistry, University of Dacca (now University of Dhaka) in the early thirties by the Indian Research Council (now National Institute of Nutrition, India), under the able leadership of Dr. kali Pada Basu. It conducted many pioneering researches in nutritional biochemistry with several hundred international publications and magazines in those days. With the establishment of the Department of Biochemistry (now Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology) in 1957, the newly established Department pursued earlier research activities in Human Nutrition more energetically. In addition, it took up the conduct of nutritional surveys and surveillance. It conducted the first-ever undertaken nutrition survey of then East Pakistan in 1962-64. It proved to be a landmark in the development of nutritional science in this country as it identified for the first time the nutritional problems of our people and their determinants to be addressed to come up with nutritional solutions. As a follow-up to this study, the Institute of Nutrition and Food Science (INFS) of the University of Dhaka was established in 1969. The Institute of Nutrition and Food Science (INFS) of the University of Dhaka is now the pioneer of academic and practical instruction in nutrition, dietetics, and food science including the scientific, economic, and social aspects of the subject. And it is continuing the development of an understanding capable of producing intelligent decisions and actions in the field of nutrition.