Mathematics was one of the three Departments in the Faculty of Science with which the University opened its door to the students on July 1, 1921. It started functioning offering BSc (Honors) and M.Sc. degrees in Pure and Applied Mathematics. Presently it is housed in the A F Mujibur Rahman Ganit Bhaban just opposite to the historic Shaheed Minar. The Department at present offers an integrated B.S. (Honors) Program of four-year duration, followed by a M.S. Program of one-year duration. The research degrees of M.Phil. and Ph.D. are also offered by the Department.